The Belgian Tina Turner Fansite: Tina Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
IWDWSWLM
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:55 am Reply with quote

source: http://www.tina-turner.se/misctimmy.htm
TALKING TO TIMMY CAPPELLO (from february 2003)

by Martina Dahlgren

He has been one of the key members of Tina Turner’s band on four world tours and I think we al lot of Tina fans were surprised when he decided not to join her ‘farewell tour’ in 2000. I managed to get an exclusive interview with Tina’s long time sax player Timmy Cappello. He talks about what he is up to now and what Tina is like as a boss.

Timmy Cappello was working as a bouncer and sleeping on his mother’s couch when his friend Ricky Marotta (a drummer who has played with Aretha among others) heard from Roger Davies, Tina’s manager, that they where looking for a sax player and a keyboard player. “Ricky said ‘I know a guy who can do both’ so, I guess I got the job cause Roger wanted to save some money. And, of course, I was thrilled”, Timmy recalls.

What do you like the most with being on stage?

Everything! Touring can, at times, be so tedious. The bus, the hotel, the venue, the bus, the hotel, you get the idea. But that 2 hours a night where you sweat you butt off and go into a kind of trance, no thinking or second guessing like most of life, pure feeling and in such huge gigs as she did it's magnified 1000 times, because that feeling you get comes from the people and there's so damn many of them. The down side is that after that's over, you're by yourself in a hotel room in a strange city with this INTENSE physical feeling of excitement and euphoria and it's 12:30 at night, time to go to bed. It's well documented what this situation leads to.

Was this why you decided not to tour on Tina's latest tour?

I felt that if I didn't put all my time into my own music now, I never would. Touring can be so tempting. All road musicians have plans of doing their own thing, but then that steady money calls and we put it on hold again. I was excited about the Tina and Elton tour and it was set until they got into a very public fight at the '99 Divas tv show. I thought this tour might be fun because Elton doesn't like to work too hard, won't tour for very long and needs time off in between segments of the tour, perfect, right? Lots of time to work on my music. Tina, of course, is well known for her incredible ability to stay on the road for a long time and work HARD, so the thought of another Roger Davies, 'keep em out as long as possible' caravan was scaring me a little. I also have to say that having a steady girl I would really miss and a cute little house in the country instead of a small apartment on the lower east side of New York made a big difference too.

Well, I can’t say I can blame you after four world tours. That must have been though! But which one of them was your favourite?

I think the two I enjoyed most were Private Dancer and Wildest Dreams. Private Dancer because she was just starting to break. It happened so fast and was such an exciting thing to be a part of. Going from little McDonalds gigs to huge stadiums overnight it seemed. Also, looking back at it, it was so great to be just her and a good kickass rock band, not much theatrics, lights, stage effects or dancers. Don't get me wrong, I think for the audience, seeing those things is great. She does them so well, and has a totally original style of choreography. But for a band member, the complete focus on her singing and the music was more fun. I also loved the Wildest Dreams tour for different reasons,mostly personal. I just felt very centered, and had learned to strike a good balance between getting things done, practicing, working out, eating well, and having fun. The tour was personally a lot of fun for me, all the new people I met. I have lots of fond memories of it (and the music was great too).

Did you make any good friend during the tours? Which one of the other band members did you get along the best with?

I'm a pretty solitary person, so I have to say that, and maybe I should be ashamed of this, I didn't really get to know anybody all that well. I always had something to do. I'd get up and hit the gym, then the market and buy food, I'd carry a full kitchen and make all my own food. I'm an organic vegetarian so that's important. Then I'd practice my sax and my voice and then pretty much it'd be time for the show. I'd practice a bit more at the gig

and then hit my bunk on the bus immediately after the show cause I knew I had to get up early the next day. I also have to say, in all honesty, that I was quite a different type of person from the other band members and that's hard to explain. I just liked different kinds of music, didn't drink or

smoke, and saw life in a different way. I know this because I did have one friend on a tour that made touring much more fun and that was Timothy B Schmitt on one of Ringo's tours. We were both vegetarians and hippies, if you will, so we'd go out to eat and hang and had a lot to say to each other. But, of course, you can't force those things. Having said that, I really loved, respected and miss Kenny Moore. He was one of a kind. I've never seen someone reach out to people the way he did. Of course we all know how he could do that onstage but he was exactly the same all the time. I learned so much from his connection to all the people around him. I'm so glad I knew him. We didn't hang out much, but I have all the respect in the world for him and I loved him.

So, you don’t have any contact with any of them now?

No, like I said, I just wasn't close with anyone in the group. I always felt sort of like the odd man out in that group of people. I'm sure many people reading this have had a similar experience at work or school.

Kenny Moore past away while touring in Australia in 1997: How does a band keep going after such a loss? Did the band and Tina ever consider cancelling dates?

This is a sore spot with me. It happened so suddenly, he died in his sleep, and we had a small gig in a fairly small town that night. Tina held a meeting and everybody was in different states of distress. She decided that we would play that night and just keep going. We immediately had a rehearsal and divided up his parts, where we had to look at his gold piano sitting there, and they right away started thinking about a replacement. I have to say also that Tina gave Kenny a lot of grief and threatened to fire him on the previous tour if he left for a few days to attend his mother's funeral, something he was very upset about and mentioned often. I, for one, would have given up any salary that would made up for it and come back and done the date on a day off and I know there were many who felt the same, just to have that one day even to think about him and give him a little respect. There is so much to admire and respect Tina for but this 'the show must go on at any cost' side of her personality is, to me, not one of them. Common in the business but that doesn't justify it.

Besides that, how is Tina as boss?

Tina is a great band leader and doesn't get enough credit for it and this I think is mostly sexism. With her talent for directing a band, if she was a man, there would have been more stories about it. Although not a trained musician, her ears and instincts are flawless. Sometimes I wouldn't understand what she wanted, cause as a conservatory-trained player, it wasn't the same language, hers was all about emotions. At first I had a bad attitude about it, thought she didn't know much. Over the years I came to see, if I just tried to understand, she was always right and I'd learn something from it. I learned a lot about music from my work with Tina, both on stage and in the studio. She can be a pretty hard boss, though. She doesn't mince words and at times will lay into someone, myself included, in front of large groups of people. She's definately no fading flower of a personality, again, viewed much differently if she were male.

What do you think Tina will do next? Has she really retired?

I think she's a really smart person and worked so hard and loved most of it and saved a LOT of money and is now enjoying the life she always knew she deserved. I'm sure she'll get the urge and perform from time to time, but I don't think she'll tour again. But you never can tell, she's surprised us

all before.

And you? What are you up to now a days? When will we see you next?

I'm about halfway through my 1st CD of original music I'm hoping to put out in 2003. I'm learning the guitar to best express the songs and it's taking some time It's quite different than the stuff I did with Tina, very mellow folk/jazz and I'll tour around the Northeast USA playing solo gigs, no band. To pay the rent, I do lots of gigs around the New York area, both solo and with bands. These gigs are mostly private parties. I don't play in clubs because of the smoke, but now that they passed a law banning smoking in NYC clubs, I'm hoping to get out into those too. I have a fan site at www.geocities.com/utcfanz with a pretty active message board and I'll put up timmycappello.com later this year so anyone who's interested can keep up there.

edmund
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked wow Tina can be quite harsh...........i was also shocked to learn that she when she did the CELEBRATE CONCERT, her mother had passed on the day before. What is she made of, STEEL? She's so stern, she reminds me of my Auntie. I think she engaged in a fight with Boy George or Billy Idol in the past because she was just too tough for them. Anyone knows about this? Pls shower me with the details Cool Cool

edmund
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote

Cool Cool You guys must also check out libralion.com and check out what Timmy says about Tina and the gifts Tina bought for him. I hope the site still exists. The last time i checked it out was 3 years ago.

waxhead
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote

Why don't you tell us what the gifts were? I hope she was generous! There are 2 sides to every story so maybe there was something else going on when K. Moore's mom died. Maybe he told Tina he needed weeks off instead of a few days...who knows? It could also be possible she was sick for a long time and it concerned Moore and Tina told him that she couldn't afford to have him pick up in the middle of a tour. I'm just speculating here...we all know Tina wasn't close with her own mother; maybe she couldn't relate.

ralph
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote

I happened to have been close with Timmy Capello once upon a time ago. And i thought the same thing. I said something else must have been going on. But, he assured me that nothing was and told me the full story and many others.

The thing you have to realise about Tina is that she was trained by Ike Turner. Like she said in The Girl From Nutbush, "I learned how to survive with Ike and how to work." He was tough with the constant touring and really strict and would also lay into people in the studio with words and violence. And when Ike wasn't around, Tina was the boss. She fired people, hired them, fined them, yelled at them, and she was the boss when Ike wasn't around. She's a very hard person because of those times. And remember, with Ike-the show went on anyway. He'd beat her and make her perform, made her perfom after having a baby etc. And that's where she gets that work ethic from.

milkyaqua
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote

Exactly, that's her background. James Brown was the same with his folks in that he was stern. Both he and the Turners were known for not putting up with any mistakes and would fine people for it.

As for Tina not being close with her Mother well yeah they weren't chummy. She did go to the ceremony when they cremated her mother and scattered her ashes. But her going on with the show based on her past did not surprise, same thing when Kenny Moore died.

I agree with Timmy about Private Dancer. That was my favorite of her tours. There were no cherry pickers to sweep her over the audience, no hydraulic lifts and no dancers. It was just Tina and the band and the audience. I know others love the big productions but that was my favorite.

I believe libralion.com is now tina-turner.nl

ralph
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote

i did like the fact that he highlighted what I've always known- she's a great musician and bandleader.

I've have lots of old footage of her rehearsing and she is in complete control and she's well trained.

vampirewithhumansoul
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote

I agree with "ralph" Tina is not cruel I am sure she knew something about him being sick and perhaps kept it undercover...who knows maybe kenny wanted to leave this world while playing music, doing what he truly loved. I dont think kenny moore wanted to be at home waiting to die on the sofa.

But I also believe what Tina went through her whole life, yes she made it through but you're never the same person. Even I've had a hard life, some times it seems unbeliveable what I endure but I made it through and yes I'm still positive but you're never the same person any more. Its like you're 'stronger than than the wind" and typical people who have had a normal calm life just wont ever understand the actions of a person who has suffer so great....

Tina having her nose broken being force to get out there on stage no if's or but's. Its rock n roll and thats the name of the game. I think kenny moore would have rather die on the leg of a tour then to pass away on a sofa or some boring hospital, kenny moore was rock n roll and talented and I think he went out the right away. playing gigs and great music...

Shaunr
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote

You know, words are very important. Entertainment is a very tough business. It's hard for a man, but even harder for a woman. Tina is surrounded by men and has to make sure that they don't walk over her. If that means being stern, then so be it. It's not an easy business, but that's why everyone doesn't do it.

Tina went on stage with the flu, she went on stage with tuberculosis, she went on stage after giving birth, she even wanted to get on stage the same night she tried to kill herself. Robbie Montgomery has said that no matter what happened, Tina went on.

Elton John called Tina a EDITED. Ike Turner has said that the only way to get through to Tina was to slap her because she'd dig at him. Little Richard has said that Tina was very hard to work with. Her band members respect her work eithic, but say she is tough. On the other hand, all those people respect her as an artist because she knows what she wants and she pulls no punches about it. Would she be considered a EDITED if she were a man, I doubt that very much.

sjef345
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote

vampirewithhumansoul wrote:
I agree with "ralph" Tina is not cruel I am sure she knew something about him being sick and perhaps kept it undercover...who knows maybe kenny wanted to leave this world while playing music, doing what he truly loved. I dont think kenny moore wanted to be at home waiting to die on the sofa.

But I also believe what Tina went through her whole life, yes she made it through but you're never the same person. Even I've had a hard life, some times it seems unbeliveable what I endure but I made it through and yes I'm still positive but you're never the same person any more. Its like you're 'stronger than than the wind" and typical people who have had a normal calm life just wont ever understand the actions of a person who has suffer so great....

Tina having her nose broken being force to get out there on stage no if's or but's. Its rock n roll and thats the name of the game. I think kenny moore would have rather die on the leg of a tour then to pass away on a sofa or some boring hospital, kenny moore was rock n roll and talented and I think he went out the right away. playing gigs and great music...

So you're actually saying, in order to 'protect' Tina, that she knew Kenny Moore was going to die, but she took him on tour anyway. Do you know he died of a heart attack, alone in a hotelroom in Australia, and was found dead the next morning? And you know that Tina said the show had to go on that same day? No matter how you put it, Tina was cruel, at least in that situation. I respect her, I think it great she always wants to put on the best show, night after night, no matter what, but I think in this situation she took it too far and I don't think she handled that situation well.

waxhead
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but two different situations are being discussed here. The original one discussed was about Tina not allowing Kenny Moore to go to his mother's funeral. Now, it's Kenny Moore's death which I never knew the details of. If Tina was gung-ho on letting the show go on, well that's an old school, die-hard, tough as nails approach to performing which I can totally see Tina being apart of. To chastise her for that I think is a bit unfair. There's a different code of conduct for Tina's generation and earlier ones before her. Now, singers cancel shows because they didn't get room temperature water or orange M & M's in their dressing rooms, OH BROTHER!!

ST
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote

What good would it do to cancel the show, or the rest of the tour, for that matter? Now, I didn't know Kenny, but I don't think he would have liked for the band-members to sit in a lonely hotelroom in a city without a name, and cry over him? Would that be giving him the credit that he deserves?
Tina showed him the respect he deserved when she got out on that stage, announced his death, asked for a moment of silence and danced in honor of him for the next two hours; and I'm absolutely sure that not a second went by without Tina thinking about him.

waxhead
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote

RIGHT ON ST...I see you're Moving Into Hip Style-A Trip Child!!! "nuff said Very Happy

milkyaqua
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote

Though she may be a task master, look at the number of people who have stayed with her including Kenny Moore throughout the years. A paycheck is one thing but if you really dislike the way a person is why stay with them for so long? A lot of Tina's band members/dancers have worked with other artists but they also usually come back to work for Tina.

sjef345
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote

I'm not saying that Tina is a tough boss. I have read in some articles that Tina sometimes can explode when something is not done the way she wants it, but she has a lot of passion and she is not only a great singer but also a talented band leader. And for a musician, it is great performing with a talented person.
But that doesn't mean Tina can't make mistakes. And I think that playing a show the day that Kenny Moore died is not the way she should have handled it. Kenny might have wanted the show to go on, but he also has family/friends and Tina being his boss I think she should have supported them and cancel the show. Plus, in the article Timmy said that he was very sad, and probably the rest of the band and crew must have been very sad too. I don't think they did a good show that night, they were probably all thinking of Kenny, and therefore I think it also would have been better for the audience if she had moved the show to the end of the tour and do a concert with the new piano player (Chuckie Booker or something) and then they would have been able to give a 100%.

View next topic
View previous topic